We are in the business of helping people, of helping businesses. They come to us with thoughts, feelings, ideas, ideals, imaginings and then ask us to materialize the seemingly impossible but gosh darn it we do it. We do time and again in fact and we do it well. One thing we don’t do is pick business names for people (although some creative agencies do this also). So when our most recent logo client came to us and hadn’t picked their business name yet it got us all thinking… what would be a good way to pick a business name if you’re stumped? Hmmm…
Let’s say you’re opening a Cafe. There are soooo many cliché Cafe names and we love them all! Here are 7 ways the universe can help you pick a name for your new business if you simply can’t decide.
1. Ask a complete stranger what THEY would call a cafe. For all you know they’ve been thinking about it for years but never had the guts to make the bold step. By stealing their name you would in fact be relieving them of a huge burden.
2. Use the Frankenstein method of your two favorite Cafes. Right now ours are Black Star and Scrambled. Scramstar or Blam are both awesome cafe names.
3. Put all the consonants of the alphabet in one hat and vowels in another. Start with consonants followed by a vowel. Be sure to return the vowel after use. We just tried it and got BADERO. Wicked cafe name right there! Badero Cafe.
4. Name the Cafe after an Egyptian God. Thoth… Rhythms with froth. Good enough for us.
5. Pick your two favorite movies that have more than one word in the title and do a bit of a switcheroo. We like Wes Anderson. Royal Fox could work. The Bottle Fantastic is also great.
6. If you have a dead pet name the cafe in honor of them. We had a cat called Mouse that died earlier in the year and I think a Mouse Cafe is exactly what Newtown needs.
7. Lastly if all else fails name your cafe after a children’s nursery rhyme. The older the better. We like: I Love Little Pussy which is from 1830 and goes a little like this:
I love little pussy,
Her coat is so warm,
And if I don’t hurt her,
She’ll do me no harm.
So I’ll not pull her tail,
Nor drive her away,
But pussy and I,
Very gently will play
All images and words are Copyright © DPM Creative Group 2010
Worthy links and so forth include but are not limited to: logo development : logo design : graphic design sydney : logo and brand development : circle : circle band : sydney band : australian band : recording studio : sydney studio